Market Insight Analyst
- Department / Function
- Data & Insight
- Contract Type
- Working Pattern
- Job Advert Description
Matthew Clark Bibendum is the UK’s leading independent drinks distributor to over 23,000 restaurants, hotels, pubs, bars and events. We have 200 years of experience working with the very best producers from around the world; placing their products in retailers and major events throughout the UK.
The Data & Insight team delivers best in class business and customer insights to colleagues and supplier partners. The Market Insight Analyst will have at least 3 years experience in the field of data and insight. The candidate for the role will produce industry-leading work to translate our strategic market insight into commercial success. The Market Analyst is responsible for analysing both secondary and primary research to reveal the clearest picture of both the UK consumer and the drinks market.
This role involves developing innovative ways to evaluate the market and produce strategy to lead business decisions and drive sales. This requires engagement with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure our view of consumers and the market is as precise as possible, and to maximise the impact of insight across our business and the wider industry.
- Become a recognised leader of insight provision and an informed, approachable and valued colleague to others
- Work with sales, marketing, buying and other teams to build creative, powerful & strategic arguments that have clear commercial value in support of category reviews, tender submissions, etc.
- Proactive analysis of these data sources to identify key market and consumer trends, understand how these are shaping the commercial environment and make recommendations on how the business should respond
- Produce specified internal reporting robustly and to deadline, synthesising multiple data sources to create actionable insight
- Present & communicate insight & commercial argument to stakeholders in a compelling, accurate and impactful manner
- Build and maintain networks both internally and externally to keep abreast of developments within the market and translate these into relevant applications for the business
- As a key subject matter expert (both internally and externally) in understanding and making best use of data, ability to create solutions to briefs, and other key skill development
- Review projects with analysts for robustness, accuracy & commercial impact prior to completion, with the input of the Insights Manager on more complex/commercially significant projects as required
- Proactively lead the development of new proprietary sources and evaluation of external providers
- Maintenance, update and development of third party and proprietary data sources.
- 3+ years experience in understanding disparate pieces of data and drawing connections between them to build data-backed, commercially relevant argument
- Confidence and 3+ years experience presenting conclusions to internal and external stakeholders in a compelling and effective manner
- 3+ years experience, strong commercial awareness and knowledge of On Trade Sales dynamics
- Experience reviewing and providing feedback on analysis in a structured and rigorous manner
- Understanding of the value/limitations of varied qualitative and quantitative datasets and their applications
- Quantitative/statistical analysis skills (Excel essential, other programs desired)
- Effective communicator, in explaining tools, designing brief and presenting findings to colleagues, customers and suppliers
- Able to prioritise and balance and fast moving workload with a strong focus on broader commercial landscape
- Educated to degree level (preferably in a discipline with a quantitative element)
- Takes initiative, has new ideas and can deliver innovation and evolution with compromising on attention to detail, robustness or impact of existing workload
- Experience of the drinks industry and/or a strong understanding of beer/wine/spirits (e.g. equivalent to WSET L2/3 for wine though qualification not necessary) is strongly preferred
- Experience conducting primary quantitative and qualitative research
- Experience working with Microsoft Power BI and/or Microsoft Access
- Educated to degree level (preferably in a numerical/logical field)
- Experience working with continuous market/panel data (e.g. Nielsen), loyalty data (e.g. Aimia/Dunnhumby), and consumer data (quantitative and qualitative)
- Full job description